blitzing vs. smart splits

trojanjoe

blitzing vs. smart splits

Post by trojanjoe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:45 pm

It seems like with "smart blitz" that a "D's" first impulse would be to blits the huge gaps and get right to the mesh. can this be a problem?

CoachP

Re: blitzing vs. smart splits

Post by CoachP » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am

I agree that a Defense's first response is to blitz the natural gaps...but I think this is an advantage to the offense. It creates an easy downblock for the playside guard and tackle as well as eliminating players who can scrape over the top to play QB or Pitch.

The only way I really see this as a problem is if your linemen extend their splits too far and can't get to the blitzing backer. One thing I stress very heavily is that they can't extend their splits so far that they can not protect any threat to their inside gap.

...Oh, and as for problems with the mesh..we don't mesh, we run point method so it's not a problem for us.

TDdemeo

Post by TDdemeo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Coach P
Right on target
Take Care
Tony

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:09 pm

thanks Coach P. I've heard of the"point method" on the forum but I still can't grasp it. The QB points the ball at the dive key? wouldn't the course of the dive back have to change as the dive key changes with various defenses?