Defending wing t

dschuring

Defending wing t

Post by dschuring » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 pm

We will be playing a couple wing t teams in the next few weeks. We are a 4-4 team that reads guards and plays a match pass defense. We have struggled in the past with wing t teams.
This weeks team primarily runs fb trap, buck sweep, wingback counter, weak side iso and toss sweep.
Looking for any suggestions on what we can adjust, change or do differently. We have tried some 5 man fronts in past with some success.

Thanks
Dale

gridironj@gmail.com

Re: Defending wing t

Post by gridironj@gmail.com » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Get in the guards pockets and follow them to the ball. Contain off the tackle and tight end are the keys outside. they need to come flat and not get blocked out. Lastly, blow up the A gaps with blitzes. You gotta gamble a little but these are things that have worked well to stop the wing t.

Coach J

sciencecoach

Post by sciencecoach » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I agree with coach, follow the guards. Basically, every wing T team has tendencies/reliable keys that you can depend on. Usually, if you key the guards, they will take you to the football more often than not. I like my playside backers to sprint downhill the moment they get back motion and guards coming their way. You have to remain sound backside, but I would key the guards until they made me get off of that key. Needless to say, you should know what your secondary identifier is so that once they break that tendency, you have a good idea of what they are trying to do. I've never been afraid to blitz, as long as they do what they are supposed to do (wreak havoc, disrupt blocking scheme, alter the timing of the play, etc.) You know your personnel. I'm just a guy that doesn't like offenses dictating to me so I would gamble a bit. It's worked most of the time.

Lastly, don't get outflanked or it will be a long day.....

dschuring

Post by dschuring » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Looking for coach Lato? We drew a wing t team for first round of play-offs.

Dale

karjaw

Post by karjaw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am

dschuring wrote:We will be playing a couple wing t teams in the next few weeks. We are a 4-4 team that reads guards and plays a match pass defense. We have struggled in the past with wing t teams.
This weeks team primarily runs fb trap, buck sweep, wingback counter, weak side iso and toss sweep.
Looking for any suggestions on what we can adjust, change or do differently. We have tried some 5 man fronts in past with some success.

Thanks
Dale
Coach
It is not enough to simply read the guards to defeat wing t teams. It is more important to have the defensive line read the blocking schemes of the offensive line. This eliminates all of those plays you have listed. We played three wing teams this year and gave up total combined offense:
Game one: 66 yds (scored 2 defensive TDs as well )
Game two:-2yds
Game three: 104yds
If you want more info you can email me at
Pbcoachwright@gmail.com and I would be happy to discuss the entire way we did this. No changes to our defense/no gimmic defense/ no special stunts we use our base stuff. We are at a point where we can defend most offenses now with 6 defenders.
Good luck
Coach Wright