this defense bounced us from the states

trojanjoe

this defense bounced us from the states

Post by trojanjoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am

we played a 3/4 in states with 1 down lineman. the 5 techniques were stand up outside lber types. they used a big 0 tech ng. and they had overhangs at the heal line of the 5 technique outside shade on our slots. on any pass, our slots got the crap kicked out of them...we just couldn't get them in the pattern consistantly. any drills for this? the safeties played man at 6 yds. the safety slowly rotated on motion away, and he esseintially doubled our playside on a stretch route. The corners were in press man. we had some success with quick game w/ slant and go, and we hit a long stretch route, but other than that not much. we went trips and went speed option away, but my qb had trouble all night with his reads. they slow played every down with both the 5 technique and the overhang. we tried running isolations (tough to read, easy to block) but their inside lbers - especially the backside lbers were scraping the opposite "A" gap like mad men.

any magic bullits out there?

cometcoach

Re: this defense bounced us from the states

Post by cometcoach » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Joe,

You had a heck of a season congrats. If both ILB are scrapping hard wouldn't the cutback be there off of the QB isolation play? TD would be the best to answer this but I might try my hand at inside zone too out of empty.

If they were in two 5 techs. I'd run our super toss power play but that's just me. I know that is something that most option teams don't do but I need another physical play especially when our qb keeps screwing up the proper read.

The blocking scheme is Tailback kicks out the ps 5 tech. I'd have the ps slot block the OLB overhang player or get into a formation to get him out of there if he can't block him. PST to the backside ilb. PSG combo block's the nose nose looks for backside a fill player. Backside Guard pulls up and through for the ps ilb. Qb reverese out and toss ball to the backside slot who goes in motion and is the ball carrier. Qb looks for first color outside through the hole and helps block/get in the way. It's not for everybody and we had a big strong qb so it was consistently a good play for us when teams were really messing with our reads.

What were the 5 techs giving you for a read?

What did they give you when you spread them out or went ends? When we had a lot of problems with our reads and teams messing with us we run a lot triple from empty.

Good question hope we can get more chatter going on here.

Newt21

Post by Newt21 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

What if you got in a compressed formation, ran jet and cracked on the OLB's with the WR, wrap the slot to the Safety, with the TB kicking out the corner. This is a play that I ran when teams were trying to send blitzes with the ILBs to take away our inside game. It forced them to widen out their players to stop our jet, we then were able to get our inside game going.

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:30 pm

ahhh...thanks wish we did that with the compressed sets. shoot. it was one of those games that i guess it wasn't just meant to be. we couldn't get them off the field when they were on offense even though we kept it close for the most part. they scored on a 3rd and long jail break from 50 yds out when the wr caught it 2 yds over the line - it was the last thing I told our guys in the huddle during the timeout before the play - we actually played the screen, we had a pick six type play and when our lber cut back to score he fumbled the ball. we only ran 40 plays when we averaged close to 60 all year. just a bad, bad night all around...nothing ever got close to being in sync.