game management - coordinating assistant coaches

trojanjoe

game management - coordinating assistant coaches

Post by trojanjoe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm really weak with in game adjustments. Just trying to make use of my coaches. Point in case, we got a 3/3 from a team that traditionally plays even fronts. I used a te wing a few times, but didn't realize until NOW that they were over shifted to the wing (slid the stack to the TE - the look was very unsound). when we used the wing, triple was very clear to see for our qb, and our angles were really good. if we stayed in this set we could have had an easier day.

how do i avoid this stuff from happening?

Joe

Newt21

Re: game management - coordinating assistant coaches

Post by Newt21 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

Assign different coaches to watch different things. For example, have the OL coach watch for scheme adjustments (i.e. alignment issues), the WR coach watch the secondary for coverages and if they're flying up on the run. The RB's coach will watch for who made the tackle (so you can adjust your playcalling accordingly). QB coach will watch the read key for other play calls also.

nathan.stanley

Post by nathan.stanley » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Coach, there is a really good podcast that covers this on the Football Coaching Podcast. The interview is specifically on the Wing-T, but Coach Creehan talks about bringing your staff in, watching film and "practicing" what you want in a game.

http://www.footballcoachingpodcast.com/denniscreehan/

TDdemeo

Post by TDdemeo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 am

Joe

The key is all about STRATEGIC FLEXIBILTY - plays that change after the snap (ie Quick Game Boot) - have a handful of cure all plays that can morph into a successful play regardless of the "D"

Second - have a list of formations you plan to open the first quarter with & use those as your REAL scouting report, "Attack with a broad front early" then you know where they will line up the rest of the game. Always find a hitch & a pitch that you can always go back to.

Thirdly - in read drill practice vs all flanks - Have a "master script"

Fourthly - I've seen your teams play & you do a GREAT job of putting your kids in a position to win. A great 4th quarter coach.

Take Care
Tony

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks guys. Will do coach.

Joe

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey Nathan

I went to the Dennis Creehan pod cast. how do i access the entrie talk. it looks real interesting. I would love to be able to listen to all those talks as i drive to work.

thanks

Joe

karjaw

Post by karjaw » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 am

Coach
Because of the fact that we get "BASTARDIZED DEFENSES" from week to week we have developed entire system of play calling called:
RED/WHITE and BLUE play calling.
If you are local to NY area we are having clinic on April 5th and 6th and one of the many areas we are discussing is this very topic. If your interested you can email me at pbcoachwright@gmail.com
Coach Wright

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 am

Coach Wright

I'm there! I will email you shortly.

Weston is part of the "Tri State"area.

karjaw

Post by karjaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Coach
Are you still interested in attending our clinic? I did not get an email from you yet. Let me know, so I can add you and your guys to the food count.
Thanks
Coach Wright

Coach M

Post by Coach M » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Coach

Can you send that clinic info out to me, I was unable to attend the clinic but would love to here more on that topic. I am hosting a similar clinic here in NJ on May 7th strictly option

Coach M