Wings v. slots in Gun Triple

coachchris

Wings v. slots in Gun Triple

Post by coachchris » Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Hello coaches,

The last couple of years our team has been spread based (doubles, trips) no huddle. We have had great success running gun veer and speed option as double option rather than triple. This year I am going to make triple our base, as we have now been moved up to the toughest division because of our success plus I feel it fits our personal better for the foreseeable future.

Long way of asking what advantages do you coaches see to running the triple gun with traditional wings as opposed to spread slots?

Any specifics would be great. i.e. blocking angles, play action, quicker motion, no motion

Thanks,
Chris

cometcoach

Re: Wings v. slots in Gun Triple

Post by cometcoach » Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 am

Chris, our base formation is double slot but we try to run the same triple play many ways out of a ton of formations. I think that it is much easier to run counter option or whirly option as Coach Demeo calls it. When he was at our school the first play we installed was no motion triple. We had to cheat our slots back into the backfield to get into pitch relationship but it is a play we are going to run more of. We are also going to run much more triple from empty sets too. I think you can easily pin the ilb from a double slot look against an 8 man front. I would love to pick you brain on the triple pm me if you want.

cometcoach

Post by cometcoach » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Check into TD's play action passes we ran stretch this year and it was dynamite for us. It was good off of jet action and we are going to use it with rocket motion this year as well. His best bang videos for the buck are the videos he did at the McNally retreat.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:23 am

Coach,

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. Good to know you use slots. I am going to install multiple formations this year but I was hoping to start in doubles because our guys are so familiar with it. Actual installed it out of our doubles and trips look the last few days and the boys really took to it. Next will be no motion out of wings, if it was the first play Tony installed for your guys that is good enough for me.

I also installed p/a stretch and it worked out great. We actual ran similar concept out of four wide the last couple of years so it was easy adjustment for the boys. I have most of TD's stuff but I am going to have to check out those Mcnally retreat vids, thanks for advice.

I am definitely interested in learning more about your empty stuff. Do you run any tempo, no huddle with the triple?

karjaw

Post by karjaw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 am

Coach
Here is another thought:
When you spread your offensive player out people say:
"See we took a defender out of the box"
Here is what really happened:
They lost a defender 1, you lost 2. There advantage.
WHAT?
When you spread you lose a runner and a blocker. I know coaches will say then:
"Well if I want to run him or have him block then I will motion him back in"
Do you not think the defense is not going to come back in as well? So now your back to your original problem to begin with.
SO WHERE IS THE ADVANTAGE TO SPREADING GUYS OUT?
Passing game.
-your player in space versus a defender not as good. Matchup is your advantage.
Displacement of defender
if defensive coaches are dumb enough to displace their defenders due to your spreading out of your wings, then by all means do it. However, remember this one simple fact:
College football is completely different from high school. (A topic for another day)
Final thought
When using wings properly and you have done ESTABLISHMENT OF FLOW properly you will find the defense will begin to take from their main front and move them to the flanks. When this happens now you will see a 9 on 6 advantage inside. WOW!!!
9 on 6!!
Spread them out you do not get this. Keep them in you do.
Just my humble opinion
Coach Wright

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Coach Wright,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You make great points regarding spreading them out. I am going to install wings + no motion when the kids get done with finals.

On a side note.

I love your point about displacement of the defender and defensive coaches being dumb enough to allow it. One of the things we found out with tempo (faster the better) is eventually high school kids or at least the ones we are facing :D displace themselves. Again, we were not triple based but double based so it is different for sure. I am hoping we can marry our tempo to triple with a better chance to displace defenders through the run game rather than passing game.

Thanks,
Chris