Help

Husky44

Help

Post by Husky44 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Coaches,
We face our toughest opponent of the season week 2. They play multiple fronts 3-3, 4-3, and 3-4. They are extremely aggressive with their front and play all man coverage behind. Their DL does a fantastic job of making piles and very few teams can consistently run the ball inside versus them. Because of this aggressiveness they can be beaten for an occasional big play but they are very well coached. Versus the option they slam the ILB on the dive and aggressively attack the QB with the DE. They expect to use great pursuit to shut down the pitch phase. Our best athlete and playmaker is our QB. How do I keep him involved and a difference maker when they want to remove his impact on the game?

My initial plan is to attack the perimeter with jet/rocket, and a double option pitch after faking the dive. We also plan on blocking the dive key and have the QB follow the FB inside but he usually makes his hay running the alley. We also will run a sprint out pass with the run/pass option to allow him to get to the perimeter. We seal the sprint pass with the play side WB. Does anyone have some more ideas?

coachfez

Re: Help

Post by coachfez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 am

Husky44 wrote:Coaches,
We face our toughest opponent of the season week 2. They play multiple fronts 3-3, 4-3, and 3-4. They are extremely aggressive with their front and play all man coverage behind. Their DL does a fantastic job of making piles and very few teams can consistently run the ball inside versus them. Because of this aggressiveness they can be beaten for an occasional big play but they are very well coached. Versus the option they slam the ILB on the dive and aggressively attack the QB with the DE. They expect to use great pursuit to shut down the pitch phase. Our best athlete and playmaker is our QB. How do I keep him involved and a difference maker when they want to remove his impact on the game?

My initial plan is to attack the perimeter with jet/rocket, and a double option pitch after faking the dive. We also plan on blocking the dive key and have the QB follow the FB inside but he usually makes his hay running the alley. We also will run a sprint out pass with the run/pass option to allow him to get to the perimeter. We seal the sprint pass with the play side WB. Does anyone have some more ideas?

Your initial play looks good. I would also try to exploit the man to man aspect by formation, unbalanced, trips, etc...

Do you run QB Iso off the Jet Sweep Action?

Are you using Smart Splits? This has really helped us against the pile-making DL.

What plays do you run? As Coach DeMeo says, "Hard to Read, Easy to Block." We have had success faking the Jet and having the motion man kick out the DE, our off-set TB leads off tackle for the QB.

Husky44

Post by Husky44 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 pm

coachfez wrote:

Your initial play looks good. I would also try to exploit the man to man aspect by formation, unbalanced, trips, etc...

Do you run QB Iso off the Jet Sweep Action?

Are you using Smart Splits? This has really helped us against the pile-making DL.

What plays do you run? As Coach DeMeo says, "Hard to Read, Easy to Block." We have had success faking the Jet and having the motion man kick out the DE, our off-set TB leads off tackle for the QB.
We run rocket, ISV, OSV, Midline, Power, Belly, and Sally as our base run plays.

Newt21

Post by Newt21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:29 am

If their DE crashes hard, why not go ahead and down block with your slot "now" on snap to just wash him down, and you can either run a double option or a QB Sweep to the perimeter with this look.

cometcoach

Post by cometcoach » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:12 pm

We had a lot of success passing the ball against man coverage with quick rip or liz motion.

For example: We will condense the set take our left slot and bring him across the formation in what we call rip motion. The right Slot and WR basically run rubs against inside defenders. Our slot in motion as soon as the ball is snapped gets into the flat and tries to out flank the defense as fast as possible. In our playoff game we had 4 completions on this simple route for over a hundred yards.

I would also condense the WR and crack on the OLB if it is true man coverage the corner should come with and now we get a two for one block and get a shorter edge to pitch the ball.

Husky44

Post by Husky44 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm

cometcoach wrote:We had a lot of success passing the ball against man coverage with quick rip or liz motion.

For example: We will condense the set take our left slot and bring him across the formation in what we call rip motion. The right Slot and WR basically run rubs against inside defenders. Our slot in motion as soon as the ball is snapped gets into the flat and tries to out flank the defense as fast as possible. In our playoff game we had 4 completions on this simple route for over a hundred yards.

I would also condense the WR and crack on the OLB if it is true man coverage the corner should come with and now we get a two for one block and get a shorter edge to pitch the ball.
That is a great idea with the vertical switch routes from a compressed set and the swing route by the motion back. If they are in man coverage the swing should be open immediately. I also like the idea of the crack since we can get a two for one. Keep them coming!

cometcoach

Post by cometcoach » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 am

We also had some success running jet and off set the TB and lead for him on the edge.

Another idea is to do the same thing and run 1/2 reverse or a counter. What I have found is man teams with all the motion are sometimes suspect vs counter plays.

We have run jump motion and run counter trey. This is especially good if you go ends formation (bring over your other receiver and line him up on the line of scrimmage) it makes him ineligible but they always cover him and now run counter or 1/2 reverse away from the unbalanced ends set. if they don't come over now you have a numbers advantage to the unbalanced side.