checklists of situations

cometcoach

checklists of situations

Post by cometcoach » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Coach DeMeo,

I've been reading and studying your practice is sacred philosophy and statements.

One of the things I need to do a better job of is preparing my team for all sorts of situations. Would you or any other coaches be kind enough to share your situations and when you work them either in the pre season or in season?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Slife

coachfez

Re: checklists of situations

Post by coachfez » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am

Coach:

We put a short special situation period into each of our preseason practices. During the season, we have a game simulation period in which we have our players encounter many of the special scenarios.

I don't know that our list is exhaustive, but here are the things we include during the preseason:

--Take a safety
--Kneel down and Spike (we are 99.99% out of the shotgun so this does require some time)
--Backed up to our own goal line
--Opponent backed up to their goal line
--Free kick after safety
--Kick Off and Kick Return after a personal foul--onside or pooch
--Punt backed up
--"Mayday" FG--we'll call "mayday" at any time during practice and the FG team has 15 seconds to sprint to the ball and kick a FG
--Injuries--practice for coaches and players--what packages is the play in on? What special teams is he on?
--Hail Mary O and D
--2 Point Conversions-- O and D
--FG vs. PAT--covering FGs and ball security on a bad snap vs. no-risk on the PAT--on a bad snap do whatever you can (ex--throw it over your head backwards into the end zone)
--Overtime coin flip and procedures