BOWLS WRAP UP

TDdemeo

BOWLS WRAP UP

Post by TDdemeo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

Coaches,

As always this years bowl games provided valuable coaching lessons to all except the ESPN crowd. There were 35 Bowls involving 70 teams to look at.
Looking at the Bowls in terms of meaningful stats
1. SCORE 25 POINTS - many say this is a very easy thing to do. Is it? Usually the bowls are pitting evenly matched teams - we are NOT talking about running the score up on a cupcake. Only 29 teams scored 25+ points in regulation time (41%). Those that scored 25= won 76% of the time. Only 7 teams lost when they scored 25+.

2. HOLD OPPONENT TO LESS THAN 16 POINTS - Only 11 teams did this and all 11 won.

3. SCORE A NON-OFFENSIVE TD - This was done 17 times. !4 teams the team that scored a non- offensive TD won (83%). Only 3 times did the team that scored a non-offensive TD lose. Of those 3 - one gave up a non-offensive TD so it was a wash. The second (Notre Dame) was held to -16 points & had a -2 turnover margin both meaningful stats. The third team (Wisc.) lost the game but Oregon scores so fast they overcame the giving up the non-offensive TD.

4. HAVE A +2 TURNOVER MARGIN - This was accomplished 13 times with all but one team winning (93%) - the only team that lost was Wake Forest & thier offensive simply couldn't take advantage of it. Mississippi State won the sudden change & overcame their miscues.

These show how important it easy to build your program to compete against the BEST on your schedule. It's better to score 25 points against anyone on your schedule than running up the score against the doormats.Defense is always an underrated component. Offense sells tickets but defense wins games.

Take Care
Tony

td4tc

Re: BOWLS WRAP UP

Post by td4tc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm

great stuff TD..i see a book in the making
teach us how to coach(drills' philosophy etc) to maximize these meaningful stats!

other thing i noticed in the bowl games was momentum shifts..eg the clemson fumble on the 1, atlanta getting stuffed on 4th and 1 twice on the weekend..

its amazing how momentum from one big play can COMPLETELY turn a game and team psyche around..if we could create that artificially (or minimize it when it happens the other way) we would be geniuses

don't know if you have ever considered penalties as a meaningful stat but it also seems that there are some huge penalties that result in major game changes

trojanjoe

Post by trojanjoe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 am

I hear ya....I like to call them "Death Penalty Flags" i.e holding in the backfield because they instantly kill your drives.

TDdemeo

Post by TDdemeo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 am

Doc
I'll be talking about this on Feb. 10th @ The Jim McNally Wesern NY Clinic in Buffalo & @ The Jim McNally Retreat in Indiana. http://www.coachmcnally.com/
Take Care
Tony